‘Cause I know Jeff Bell is wondering:
1. You need to develop a code word that will tell your entire family that its time to spring into action. You don’t need to make up some kind of secret code. The word “ESCAPE” works very well and is simple and straight to the point. Forget about “Red Wolf” and use something simple.
2. Designate a “safe room” in your home where everyone can go to at the same time. This room should be stocked with several specific items that will help you survive the upcoming fight. The list of items isn’t that long, but the list is outside the scope of this article. The one thing that you must have in this room is a phone that can be used to call the police.
3. Do not, under any circumstances, leave the safe room. If you have your family in the room with you, resist the urge to put on your cape and fight the invaders single handedly.
4. Develop a “fatal funnel”. If you are using a gun for home defense, position yourself in a corner of the safe room that is on the opposite side of the door. This will give you the maximum amount of time decide if you’re going to shoot because you’ll be the last thing the intruders see when they burst through the door. In this instance, you have the advantage because they will have to make an assessment of the room before they make a move. You only have to decide if you’re going to shoot or not. You will know that its either the police coming to your rescue or the bad guys coming to harm you. Just make sure you don’t shoot the police.
5. Stay in the safe room until the police arrive, no matter how long it takes. Even if you are pretty sure the home invasion is finished and the intruders have left, do not leave the safe room. You can’t be sure that the attackers aren’t lying in wait to take your family by force to hold as hostages or cause harm. Stay in the room until the police have cleared the house and tell you to come out before you decide the home invasion is over.