…and I notice a lot of hits coming to Signaleer looking for this information. So here it is: How to get a grant of the 25B MOS without formal Army schooling.
Office Chief of Signal can grant a waiver of formal training to qualified soldiers who desire to apply for reclassification into military-occupation specialty 25B.
There are some restrictions. The soldier must:
- Possess an Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery score of 100 or higher in the skilled technical (ST score) field;
- Have completed high-school algebra; and
- Have formal training in such areas as:
- data communications
- the Unix operating system
- Microsoft operating systems
- and installing and managing local-area networks, routers and telecommunications protocol/Internet protocol.
Soldiers with a degree in computer science may qualify if degree studies are equivalent to the courses taught for the 25B MOS.
Soldiers who believe they qualify for a waiver of formal training must submit a request (DA Form 4187) to Enlisted Division, Office Chief of Signal, ATZH-POE, Fort Gordon, Ga. 30905. Supporting documentation is required.
Qualified soldiers will be granted a waiver. The waiver doesnâ€™t constitute award of MOS 25B.
When the soldier receives the waiver of formal training from OCOS, he/she must submit his/her application through channels to Reclassification Management Branch, Personnel Command, 2000 Stovall Street, Alexandria, Va. 22232. A copy of the waiver of formal training should be included with the request.
The same type of process applies to other Signal MOS also.