Major Duties: The satellite communication systems operator-maintainer supervises, installs, operates, and maintains strategic and tactical multi-channel satellite communications ground terminals, systems, networks, communication security (COMSEC) devices, and associated equipment. Operates and performs preventive maintenance checks and services (PMCS) on assigned communications equipment, vehicles, and power generators. Major duties for MOS 25S at each level of skill are:
- Skill Level 1 MOSC 25S1O. Installs, configures, operates, aligns, conducts performance tests, and performs unit and direct support maintenance on satellite communications equipment and associated devices. Conducts stressed and unstressed network operations. Performs quality control tests on circuits, trunk groups, systems, and ancillary equipment. Installs, operates, performs strapping, restrapping, PMCS and unit level maintenance on COMSEC devices. Prepares system and equipment related forms and reports. Installs tactical satellite antenna equipment. Operates and performs PMCS on assigned communications equipment and vehicles. Installs, operates, and performs PMCS on power generators.
- Skill Level 2 MOSC 25S2O. Provides technical assistance to subordinates engaged in the operation and maintenance of satellite communication systems. Identifies and reports electronic jamming and deception, and applies appropriate electronic countermeasures. Performs complex and multifaceted tasks associated with stressed and unstressed network operations. Supervises and performs alignment, control functions, and direct support maintenance on assigned communications equipment. Ensures backup equipment, spares, and repair parts are available to sustain system operations. Compiles system and network statistics for reports.
- Skill Level 3 MOSC 25S3O. Plans, supervises, and integrates the installation, operation, and maintenance of strategic and tactical satellite communications assemblages and systems. Establishes workload, work schedules, and maintenance priorities. Performs and supervises quality control inspections. Requests logistic support. Trains subordinate personnel in the operation and maintenance of satellite and associated equipment. Consolidates system and network statistics and reports, and submits them to network control/management headquarters. Executes telecommunications service orders (TSO). Performs coordination with Army, Joint, and commercial activities to accomplish satellite and distributed communications at all levels of command.
- Skill Level 4 MOSC 25S4O. Supervises, plans, and directs the installation, operation, and maintenance of satellite communication systems and networks, including strategic, tactical and commercial interfaces and gateways. Provides technical advice to commanders and assistance to subordinates. Develops and ensures compliance with policy and procedures for all types of satellite operational environments. Determines capabilities and limitations of assigned equipment. Writes telecommunications service requests (TSR) for Army, Joint, Defense, or commercial activities requirements. Disseminates TSO to subordinate shifts, assemblages, or stations. Conducts technical evaluations of equipment and facilities. Establishes and maintains liaison with supported and supporting activities or units. Organizes, instructs, and counsels subordinate personnel. Manages security programs for satellite operations.
Physical demands rating and qualifications for initial award of MOS. The satellite communication systems operator-maintainer must possess the following qualifications:
(1) Physical Demands Rating: moderately heavy
(2) Physical Profile: 212221
(3) Normal color vision.
(4) Minimum score of 120 in aptitude area EL.
(5) A security clearance of SECRET.
(6) Credit for successful completion of one year of high school algebra and science.
(7) High school graduate or equivalent.
(8) A U.S. citizen.
(9) Formal training (completion of MOS 25S Course conducted under the auspices of the USA Signal School) mandatory or waiver may be granted by Commandant, U.S. Army Signal School, ATTN: ATZH-POE, Ft Gordon, GA 30905-5300.